No subscription needed for Obituaries and Public Notices

Working Among Hand-hewn Chestnut Beams More Than 261 Years Old

Rafters from the 1775 construction of the Fourth Meetinghouse are being reinforced with steel beams in the attic area of the main roof expanse. A the interior restoration proceeds, signs of exterior work will be evident as scaffolding is built to access the steeple and bell tower from the outside. The work is funded in part by grants from the Community Preservation fund and Massachusetts Historical Commission. (Top) Photo by Al Collins, Project Manager.

Deatil of restoration and structural reconstruction work on First Parish Meeting House is proceeding with steel supports placed in the bell tower and in the main roof section of the 1775 structure. In the next few weeks scaffolding will be erected for work on the steeple. The work is funded in part by grants from the Community Preservation fund and Massachusetts Historical Commission. (Bottom) Photo by Al Collins, Project Manager.

Groton Herald

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 610, Groton, Massachusetts 01450
 

Office
161 Main Street, Groton, Massachusetts 01450
[above Main Street Café]
 

Telephone: 978-448-6061
 

Comment Here