Groton Public Library September Events
Thu, 08/29/2019 - 10:28am Heraldgroton
Tue, Sept 10, 7-8:30 pm. Hidden Gems of New England. Take a virtual trip over mountains and through back roads of New England with Author Alison O’Leary.
Sun, Sept 15, 2-4 pm. Expedition Tanzania. Professional Mountain Guide Craig John will present on his expeditions to Tanzania, including Kilimanjaro, Ngorongoro Crater, and the Serengeti. Hear about his recent trip to Iceland, too!
Thur, Sept 12 at 7 pm. NORMAN ROCKWELL. One of the most beloved American Artists was a painter who illustrated over 322 covers for the Saturday Evening Post for 47 years. Join us to enjoy and discuss his wonderful images and to remember why he is recognized as an icon.
LIFELONG LEARNING: A HISTORY OF UNITED STATES FOREIGN RELATIONS: Discussion & Conversation Series. Led by Tommy Lamont, Chair, History & World Affairs, Groton School, Thursdays, 7-8 pm. Five sessions, starts Sept 5. No class Oct. 3. Class size limited to 10; please sign up!
WRITING CREATIVELY: Led by Richard Meibers, Professional Writer, Tuesdays, 10-11:30 am, starts Sept 10. Runs 10 weeks to Nov 19. Meets at Legion Hall, 75 Hollis St., through Oct. 22. Oct 29--Nov 19 will be at the New Senior Center.
GROTON’S INVASIVE SPECIES: What They Are, Where They Come From, Why They Matter, & What You Can Do To Fight Them. Led by Olin Lathrop, Invasive Species Committee Member, Wednesdays at 7 pm. Three-Part Series, starts Sept 11. Sept 11: An Overview of Invasive Species in Groton. Oct 2: Specific Invasives: Japanese Knotweed, Oriental Bittersweet, and the Emerald Ash Borer. Oct 23: Other Invasives: Black Swallow-wort, Phragmites, Burning Bush, Barberry, and more
Gillian P. Frazier: Nature Reflected, Paintings. Sept 4 through Oct 26. Art- ist’s Reception: Sunday, Sept 8, 2:30-4:30 pm.
• Fri, Sept 6, 10:30-11:15 am. Tales & Tunes: Mr. Vic. Story & music time for infants preschoolers
• Creative Kids Drop-In Craft Time. Every Tuesday 10-3, Sept 3-Dec 31. Drop-in freestyle crafts for kids.
• Mother Goose Story & Play Time For Infants & Toddlers (Ages 0-2). Every Wednesday at 10:15—10:45 am OR 11:15—11:45 am
• Story Time for 3, 4, & 5 Year Olds. Every Thursday 10:30-11:00 am Book Groups for Kids: Book Worms for Grades 4 & 5. Meets the 1st Tuesday of every month, 4:15-4:45 pm. Starts Sept 3. Book Bears for Grades 2 & 3. Meets the 2nd Thursday of every month, 4-4:30 pm. Starts Sept 12. For the September meeting, bring a book that you have recently read to talk about. After the meeting, check out the selected book for the next meeting. Refreshments provided.
• Read to a Dog. Children gain confidence by reading aloud to a non-judgmental, friendly dog! Shiver is certified through the Pets & People Foundation. Wednesdays, 4-5 pm. Sign up on- line for a 15 minute slot: Sept 11 & 25. More dates TBA.
• Read-Aloud with Jennie. Meets the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month, 4-4:30 pm. Starts Sept 5. Children in Grades K-2 can drop in and listen to Jennie Fitzkee read aloud from some of the best children’s chapter books!
• Thu, Sept 5, 7-8 pm. Book-ish: YA Café. Those who enjoy books get together for light refreshments and time to read, write or draw, and share with one another if inclined. On the first Thursday of the month.
• Wed, Sept 4, 3-4:30 pm. Make & Take Club: CD Dream Catchers. Stop by after school and get creative!
• Wed, Sept 11, 3-5 pm. Magic the Gathering. Come play Magic the Gathering in a fun and relaxed way with your friends. All levels welcome.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, lsan-
Please send comments to email@example.com