2020 Spring Sports Season Delayed
Thu, 03/26/2020 - 11:43am Heraldgroton
The MIAA Board of Directors voted on March 16, 2020, to amend the start of the 2020 spring sports season in light of recent mandates from Governor Baker and recommendations from governing health agencies. The updated start date for the 2020 spring season is April 27, 2020.
Additionally, the MIAA Board of Directors voted to have completion of regular season and tournament games by June 20, 2020 with consideration of June 21, 2020 for weather and facility needs.
Details regarding the structure of the spring season will be addressed by the Tournament Management Committee (TMC). An update will be provided and reviewed by the Board by March 25, 2020.
Respecting the fluidity of the Coronavirus situation, this decision will be revisited in the near future.
1. How was the recent decision made regarding the structure of the spring regular season and tournament? For this unprece- dented situation it was important for the MIAA Board of Directors (BOD) to take action. The BOD addressed the start and completion dates of the spring sport season inclusive of the end date for potential tournaments. BOD decisions are made after discussion and input from membership. Details regarding the structure of a proposed 2020 spring tournament will be addressed by the Tournament Management Committee (TMC). An update from TMC will be submitted to the BOD by March 25, 2020.
2. When will the decision regarding the structure of the spring regular and tournament season be done? Details regarding the spring tournament season will be addressed by the TMC in collaboration with individual spring sport committee liaisons and chairs. An update from TMC will be submitted to the BOD by March 25, 2020.
3. Is there a deadline for when the start of the spring season must begin beyond April 27th? No, a deadline date has not been established at this time.
4. Can a school, school district, or coach practice, scrimmage, or have a game in advance of the new spring season start date of April 27, 2020? No. The spring season begins on April 27th.
5. If, and when, spring sports practices and games are reinstated, what health and safety guidelines will be in place? The TMC will evaluate health and safety guidelines and will bring forth a recommendation(s) to the BOD before the spring season start date.
6. If, and when, spring sports practices and games are reinstated, what eligibility guidelines will be in place? The BOD will evaluate eligibility guidelines and provide an update before the official start of the spring season.
7. What is the status of MIAA State Championships for spring sports? The intent is to provide student-athletes with a spring tournament experience. The TMC will collaborate with spring sport committee liaisons and chairs to recommend an appropriate tournament structure.
[Ed. note: Information from MIAA Site]
Please send comments to email@example.com